Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tough Decisions

2010 has had a lot of ups and downs so far. More downs than ups.

It started with me being laid off from the job I had for five years and having to fight to get my unemployment. I finally did start to get my compensation in April but by then the damage was done.


Three months of rent, utilities, food, car insurance etc. out of savings: $4500 poof!
I had to address car and license issues: $1000 poof!
Trip to emergency room for heart attack: $2000 poof!

All of this added up to not being able to make my rent in May. I went and spoke to the Assistant Manager of my complex and arranged with her to pay both May and June's rent at the end of May on the 28th. When I arrived at the office last Friday with a check for $1200 in my hand I was told by the office manager that the assistant was let go for making arrangements with tenants she had no authority to do so. Further, the office manager refused to honor the verbal agreement I had entered into with the now former assistant manager. (I know, I know. Get it in writing!) She informed me that I was under eviction proceedings and the best thing I could do was to take my $1200 and find a new place to live. I was informed that the the eviction would not into default status until June 4th and then I had about a week or so before JSO (the cops) came to forcibly remove me from my dwelling.

I spent the Memorial Day weekend scouring craigslist and driving to see various properties. I was turned down on all of the places I looked at because when the prospective landlord called my current residency they where informed I was evicted. Today I looked at yet another place that was willing to look beyond the eviction situation but required one month's rent and a $300 pet deposit. All told, with the June rent I would need more than $1200 to move in!! Remember all that Poofing?

So now here we are. One week before I get tossed to the streets with nothing but the clothes on my back, my puppy and two cats. I called my family and friends begging for the $750 I was short to get to the necessary monies required to move. It seems money is scarce all over.

But all is not doom and gloom. My friend Austin offered to let me and my pets stay with him until I get back on my feet financially. The one hitch? He lives in Brooklyn, New York and I am currently in Jacksonville, Florida.

The decision I now face is to pack up everything and move away from the life I have built in Jacksonville. Over the last 10 years, especially since my divorce, I created a nice life with great friends. There is a little community called Five Points that is extremely diverse and creative. One of the coffee houses there has become a second home for me. It's a great little place to sit, have a cup of coffee and a smoke, talk with friends, listen to some great live music and just chill. It's also owned by a guy who worked for four and five star restaurants so the food kicks ass! I also was introduced to the world of independent wrestling and made some wonderful friends working in this unusual and tight knit community. I became involved with the community theatre scene and help create a wonderfully talented sketch comedy troupe. I had just started improv classes. I met great people all along the way.

I will miss them all and my heart is heavy. I have vacillated between staying and going all day. Some of my friends were understanding of my looming decision. Some took it hard. All were saddened.

As The Clash once sang, "If I go there will be trouble and if I stay it will be double." I need to make the final decision no later than Monday. I am leaning towards moving back north. There are pros and cons to both choices.

As I said, it's a tough decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment