Tuesday, March 5, 2013

6 Week Dairy Challenge: First Challenge

Yesterday I wrote that I decided to take on a Dairy Free Challenge to see what effects it would have on my health, energy and weight. As a 47 year old man with a history of allergies, sinus issues, digestive challenges and forty pounds of excess hanging like an albatross around my waist I wanted to be proactive with my Quality of Life.


My first day went fine. A breakfast of oatmeal with vanilla and raspberry agave. Lunch was french fries and a large sweet tea from Mickey D's (I was running to see a client) and dinner was chicken pan fried in olive oil with honeyed carrots. Great, I could do this.

And then came this morning ...

I opened my refrigerator and saw dairy everywhere. A half full gallon of 2% milk. An open spreadable cream cheese. Margarine and butter. American, cheddar, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses. In my pantry there was products with whey - goodbye instant cocoa and granola bars! I opened my freezer and found frozen cheese ravioli and frozen pizza, not to mention the left over soups and sauces I froze after those dinners were over.

It was incredible just how much dairy was in my life.

I had two choices. I could empty my fridge and throw out almost everything or I could cook it all, eat a small serving as a farewell and then tell my roommate to take it to work. I couldn't throw it out and waste the food, not to mention the money that was already spent.

I boiled up the ravioli and couldn't eat more than two. The sight of them just turned me off. This week looks like will be a transitional week as I move from one lifestyle to a more healthy choice. I wanted to go cold turkey but the realities of how much dairy had infiltrated my daily life changed my mind.

It was an eye opening experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment